At Jubilee Community Care we know our Stay Standing falls prevention program is making a difference in the lives of those who want to improve their confidence, balance and mobility. And our participants agree.
Miriam, a participant in our Bellbowrie course in May, said the program “reinforced our good behaviours, helped us correct things we were doing wrong and gave us such good advice in areas we had not considered”. “It was a thoroughly worthwhile use of our time. There were lovely people presenting, facilitating and participating – it made it very enjoyable.”
Participant Marie says: “Thank you for a well constructed information package. The talks have been most informative and the exercises we have been given work so well. Thank you to the staff members who have been so pleasant and caring.”
And Jan says Stay Standing is a well-designed program. “It was informative, professional and interesting. Above all it was practical and easy to implement.”
Stay Standing is the only accredited falls prevention program in Australia and includes a home program of exercises. Sessions are held on Fridays for eight weeks and each one includes exercises, presentations from allied health specialists and morning tea.
Program topics covered include:
- Assessment with physiotherapists Monique or Tim and home program of exercises to prevent falls in week one.
- Falls contingency planning, SMART goals and managing chronic pain.
- Managing continence with a nurse and Healthy Bones with a dietician.
- Safety at home with an occupational therapist, Vision with an optometrist and Hearing with a audiologist.
- Footwear to stay safe and comfortable on your feet with a podiatrist and Safety away from home with the Queensland Police Service.
- Managing medication and sleep with a pharmacist.
- First Aid including recognising common senior emergencies.
- Exercise review and outcomes and a celebration in the final week.
The next Stay Standing course will begin at Indooroopilly on July 19. Another course will be held at Ashgrove, starting October 11. To find out more phone Jubilee Community Care on 3871 3220.