Jubilee Community Care invited our local medical professionals to find out about Stay Standing over breakfast last month.
Our speakers were Monique King, Stay Standing Founder, Physiotherapist and Falls Prevention Expert and Tim Douge,
Exercise Physiologist, Director of Iridium Health and Stay Standing Master Trainer. Tim and Monique are pictured below with our Director Shaun and Client Support Manager Nicky.
Monique and Tim explained the science behind Stay Standing, which has helped over 120 of Jubilee Community Care’s clients over the last five years. It is Australia’s first nationally quality accredited falls prevention program and is registered with the Healthy Living Network. It is a best-practice, person-centric approach for reducing falls risk and strengthening Primary Care and community provider partnerships.
It was a wonderful session, greatly received and attended by medical professionals including local GPs, hospital staff and nurses – all with the intention of providing better falls prevention strategies to our elder community members. They learnt how the life Stay Standing results driven program focuses on strategies to help reduce the risk of falls, allowing people in their later years to continue living at home. The program is over 8 weeks and is held 4 times a year with the following focus:
- Week 1: Assessment with Monique or Tim & home program of exercises to prevent falls
- Week 2: Falls contingency planning, SMART goals & managing chronic pain
- Week 3: Managing continence with a Nurse & Healthy bones with a Dietitian
- Week 4: Safety at home with an Occupational Therapist and Vision with an Optometrist
- Week 5: Footwear to stay safe and comfortable on your feet with a Podiatrist & Safety away from home with the Queensland Police Service
- Week 6: Managing medication & sleep with a Pharmacist
- Week 7: 1st Aid with Queensland Ambulance Service including recognising common senior emergencies
- Week 8: Exercise review & outcomes with Tim or Monique & Celebration.
April is Queensland’s “no falls” month – so Stay Standing and join us on our next course, which starts on Friday, 12th May. Call Sandy on 07 3871 3220 to find out more.